Why ISO 50001 is important?
Essential of organizations operation whatever their activity, energy is a major cost item. It is about evaluate the energy used throughout the supply chain of a company, from raw materials to recycling, in order to represent the magnitude.
Besides its economic cost for organizations; energy has also an environmental and social costs due to resource depletion and certain problems, such as climate change.
It takes time to develop and deploy technologies to exploit new sources of energy and renewable energy.
An organization has no control on energy prices, the government policies or the global economy. It can however improve its energy management, now. Improving the energy performance allows organizations to achieve rapid results, optimizing the use of their available energy sources and their energy goods, thus reducing the cost and power consumption. The organization will also play a positive role in conserving energy resources and reducing the impact of energy use on the planet, such as global warming.
ISO 50001 is based on the management system model already known and implemented by organizations worldwide. It will offer concrete steps to organizations of all types in the short term while supporting longer-term initiatives to improve the field of energy technology.
What are the objectives of ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 will provide to organizations of the private and public sectors, management strategies that will allow them to increase energy efficiency, reduce costs and improve energy performance. The standard will provide to organizations in a recognized framework for integrating energy efficiency into their management practices. Multinationals will have a single, harmonized standard to be implemented on all of their sites, using a logical and consistent methodology for identifying and implementing improvements.
The standard has the following objectives:
- Help organizations more efficient use of energy-up resources,
- Establish conditions of transparency and facilitate communication about the management of energy resources,
- Promote best energy management practices and reinforce good behavior in this area,
- Helping business units to assess and prioritize the implementation of new technologies more energy efficient,
- Provide a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain,
- Facilitate improvements in management of energy in the context of projects to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases,
- Allow integration with other management systems already in place.
ISO 50001 How does it operate?
ISO 50001 follows the so-called PDCA methodology for continuous improvement of the energy management system.
These features now allow organizations to take into account the energy management in their general initiatives to improve the quality management, environmental management and address the other issues covered by their management systems.
ISO 50001 provides a framework of requirements allowing agencies to act on several fronts:
- Develop a policy for more efficient use of energy,
- Fix targets and objectives to meet the policy,
- Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use
- Measure the results,
- Review how well the policy works,
- Continually improve energy management.
For more information : Win the energy challenge with ISO 50001
For any question, do not hesitate to contact us !